Day 23: Remember ALF? He’s back, in podcast form. From 1987, ALF’s Special Christmas is the single most depressing Christmas special starring a wisecracking alien puppet of all time.
In this Christmas special, the goofy alien with the jokes meets a terminally ill child and a man contemplating suicide.
On this episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), an ugly little funny-looking thing.
- Jeff Somogyi (@sommerjam) of Talkin’ Chopp and Nerd Lunch’s Down the Rabbit Hole.
Topics and tangents
- The heartbreaking true story behind ALF’s Special Christmas.
- A study in human ignorance: Gordon Shumway has a name, which he’s told everyone, yet everyone still calls him HEY ALIEN.
- A study in willful alien ignorance: ALF opens everyone else’s Christmas gifts and succeeds in convincing me it’s because he doesn’t know how any of this works.
- Talking ALF: The Storytelling Alien, which a childhood friend of mine used as her answering machine message.
- Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.