Day 21: We celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Pee-wee’s Playhouse Christmas Special the only way we know how: With lots of screaming, lots of fruitcake, and lots more screaming.
On this episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), a completely ignored, dog-shaped chaise lounge no one ever sits on or talks about.
- Erin Evans (@mserinmevans), a talking iPad on wheels whose idea of a family reunion involves a small sacrifice of personal space.
- Lindy Kempe (@ieatvideogames), an anxious flying dinosaur from a place that existed long, long ago.
- Joey O. (@ImGonnaDJ24), an artificially intelligent pile of home appliances made even more useful when instigating loud chaos with a single word, from Y-Not Radio and Words with Nerds.
Topics and tangents
- Magic Johnson recorded his segment hours before playing in — and winning — a Lakers game. We don’t know the precise date, but one win was against the SuperSonics, possibly (but probably not) on Ice Cube’s Good Day.
- One commercial break includes a bizarre Pringles commercial starring a young Brad Pitt.
- Pee-wee’s Big Holiday on Netflix.
- When did fruitcake become a punchline? Christmas Past has something of an answer.
- Or is fruitcake is a byproduct of the Joys of Jell-O era?
- A mini ode to the Picture Phone, a giant, stationary Skype machine.
- The working script and storyboards for this special.
- Who mailed Grace Jones to the Reagan White House?
- Pee-wee performing Surfin’ Bird in Back to the Beach.
- The King of Cartoons’ cartoon: 1936’s Christmas Comes But Once a Year.
- My feelings about snow mirror this one, particular Calvin and Hobbes comic strip, published 5 days after this special aired.
- k.d. lang’s Twitter reply about her crazy, wonderful performance of Jingle Bell Rock.
- The awkward moment when we realize the Dinosaur Family has a pet dinosaur.
Previous episodes of this podcast mentioned
- S1E3: Honey Nut Cheerios Christmas Commercial
- S2E7: Will Vinton’s Claymation Christmas Celebration
- S2E10: McDonald’s Holiday Commercials